Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Nigella's Scones

I often make scones, they are so handy when people call, and they freeze well also. They’re a great addition to the children's lunch boxes, particularly if they’re going through a phase of ‘not having enough time to eat lunch’, which is a regular thing in my house. Normally I’d just use a basic recipe for scones, that is the one in my Mam’s old recipe notebook. 
Today though I felt like something a bit more indulgent and so I made my scones using Nigella Lawson’s recipe form ‘How to be a Domestic Goddess’ 
Jack was very impressed when he came in from school and declared them as ‘the best scones ever’ Something tells me I’ll be making these ones more often that my usual ones!!

 
Ingredients 

500g Plain Flour
1 teaspoon salt                                 
2 teaspoons Bread Soda
4 ½ teaspoons Cream of Tartar
75g Butter, diced
300ml Milk
1 egg, beaten, for egg-wash



Method

1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/GM 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

2. Sift the flour, salt, bread soda & cream of tartar into a bowl. Rub in the butter until it goes like damp sand. 

3. Add the milk all at once, mix briefly, then turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly to form a dough.

4. Roll out to about 3cm thick, dip the cutter into some flour, then stamp out the scones. Re roll the dough & continue this process until the dough has been used up.

5. Place the scones close together on the baking tray, brush the tops with the egg wash and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until risen & golden.



 These scones a re beautiful and have an almost fluffy texture to them. They are perfect with jam & cream or like Jack had his, with butter & strawberry jam.

Yum!


No comments :

Post a Comment